Wednesday, April 15, 2009

to help old friends

The lab computer and I are NOT getting along today. So while the computer thinks about what it has done to ruin my day (and increase my need for a drink when I get home), I am going to blog about what a great week it has been on the collaboration front.

People come in and out of our lives every day. We often wish some would stay around longer, but regardless, we try to stay in touch. It is not often easy (though facebook makes staying in touch a little easier, as long as people actually use facebook), but at least keep email addresses around. Check in on how people are doing once in a while. And, when it comes to science, don't ever hesitate to ask for help. Old colleagues of mine have been EXTREMELY helpful this week. I am trying to start up a new project in my lab and I have called and emailed quite a few people asking for advice and protocols. Even free stuff (thanks to a certain someone who shall remain nameless working at a certain company that will also remain nameless)! Let me just say, I wish it was that easy to get free shoes!

So, a piece of advice: stay in touch with your old friends. And if they need help, give it. Someday you might need some in return. And since I've been doing so much taking this week: Does anyone need my help with anything??? I'm feeling a little selfish and would like to pay it forward. Maybe that's why the computer is being such a giant booger, because I haven't paid anything forward for all the help I have received... does anyone need anything??? :)

No comments: