Friday, May 22, 2009

rescue ranger!

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a line of turtles sunning themselves beside the pond behind my house. I love the amount of wildlife I get to witness around the pond, but it is mostly birds (mainly ducks, geese (blech), and heron). So to see at least 20 turtles sitting by the pond was a very exciting moment.

This morning on my way to work, there was a turtle in the middle of the busy road leading to my neighborhood! I had to pull over to rescue the poor turtle before he got run over. He was very close to the yellow line in the middle of the road hiding in his shell, as I ran up he was sticking his little head out but stuck it back in as I got closer. I picked him up and moved him to the grass, petted him on the back of his shell, gave him a little talking to about not going in the street, and went on my merry way. I hope that turtle stays out of the street from now on!

This is not the first time I've been on a turtle rescue mission either. When I was much younger, my mom rescued a turtle in a parking lot by putting him in a box and then we drove him over to the river by our house. My brother was totally freaked out by the turtle (I think he was 6 or 7 and I was 9 or 10) and he wouldn't ride in the backseat with the turtle. That turtle was even bigger than the one I rescued today, and the one I rescued today was pretty big!

I did my good deed for the day, can I go home now? No? Get back to work? EH.

No comments: